Saturday 14 September 2024

Judge not!

 




What do others think of making judgements?


I've always loved a quote from the playwright Samuel Beckett, who said that:-

"We can never have enough knowledge, but not in order to judge."






I think we can gather knowledge like busy little bees, adding daily to our stock, perhaps thinking ourselves constantly wiser. Then, according to our very own unique conditioning, born of culture and circumstance, we form our judgement - of others, of virtually everything. Until our "self" becomes a hard nugget of "conclusions".

How can we truly see any other human being if such be the case. As the Good Book says:- "Judge not, lest you be judged"





As I see it, such a verse is not the threat of some "sky God" in charge of it all, but is the very nature of Reality. When we "judge" another (in fact, judge anything at all) we inevitable judge ourselves. Only we, our unique self, could possible have formed such a judgement, simply because of all of our own knowledge and preconceived conclusions.







Caught in a trap. And some just might be satisfied, satisfied with just how they see the world. But sadly, as I see it, Reality is missed. Its constant advance into novelty is forestalled, its healing power bypassed in favour of our own chosen judgements and conclusions.

Dogen, 13th century zen master:-

Conveying oneself toward all things to carry out practice-enlightenment is delusion. All things coming and carrying out practice-enlightenment through the self is realization.

(Lines from his "Genjokoan", the actualisation of Reality)





My apologies, I'm seeking to share with friends, not seeking to convince or preach! I'm going through a torrid time, seeking to hold myself together (or perhaps, seeking to allow the Grace of Reality to hold me together) I'm here drinking a coffee in McDonalds and I find tapping away on my Kindle therapeutic, barely knowing exactly what I will say until it is said.





Any comments welcome. I am constantly stimulated by the thoughts of other - and hopefully there will be no judgement!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Butterflies and differentiation

Maybe I have mentioned it elsewhere, maybe not, but  I have for a long time loved butterflies. Way back when I was a lad we saw so many kind...