Wednesday 25 July 2018

We all have special needs

My daughter visited recently and spotted the Blook of this blog. Well, to be honest, I made sure she spotted it. 



Who could miss it?

Anyway, interested, she took it away with her to read "as and when". I am not particularly vocal in offering my views, particularly on "the meaning of life". Maybe I'm wrong but as I see it, the more vocal you are, the less you are inclined to actually live your convictions. The more Buddhism, the less Buddha. Something like that. But I'm drivelling as usual. 

Well, just last week, my daughter told me that she really liked a poem I had quoted in one of my blogs, "The Two Headed Calf" by Laura Gilpin. She told me how it made her think of how the young lad she looks after might see the world. He is a lad with what are called "special needs", starved of oxygen during birth, but he does love watching rugby. (His love, also, of Manchester United I gracefully, if reluctantly, forgive)



In the museum

Here is the poem again:- 



Tomorrow, when the farm boys find this
freak of nature, they will wrap his body
in newspaper and carry him to the museum. 

But tonight he is alive and in the north
field with his mother. It is a perfect
summer evening: the moon rising over
the orchard, the wind in the grass.
And as he stares into the sky, there
are twice as many stars as usual.

At the time of first quoting I said that for me the poem was about "acceptance, of difference, of each of us being unique...…..and other things". Yes, it is - and you are invited to think of "other things". But relating this to some previous things in blogs about every cut being the best, I think now that all of us have special needs. Some perhaps just need them more than others! This is where empathy, a good ear, even being aware of our own vulnerability, comes in. Communion, not mere communication; certainly not just a speaking at others. 

Moving on, long ago on a Buddhist Forum, I admired one particular poster simply because he often tried to relate his buddhist convictions to the actual world of current affairs around him. I have found this far more difficult than it would seem. Anyway, just recently, caught up in the debate ( well, it has to be called something! ) over Brexit, I have come out of retirement and entered the realm of the Tabloid newspaper comments sections. Quite illuminating! Quite easy to be pulled down and end up throwing out a few "black eyes" of my own, especially after being called "thick", "traitor" and told to clear off to Russia if I didn't want to accept the "will of the people". All good stuff in the rough and tumble of the British psyche.



Our glorious tabloids defend our "sovereignty"

But in respect to acceptance, of difference, the subject comes up of our immigrants, both from the Commonwealth and the EU. Take it from me - trust me - those that habitually read one or two ( or three! ) of our daily tabloids will have been treated to a continual assault of news items, editorials, features and articles where many of the ills in our society are blamed upon the EU/immigration.

Just to mention one thread recently regarding how lack of co-operation between the UK and EU Security Services, of a breakdown in such post Brexit, could cause an influx of unsavory characters entering the UK. It was soon inundated with anti- immigrant diatribes; of the unsavoury who had already entered. The general view expressed was that we had "no control over who came and went" because of the EU policy of the free movement of people, thus allowing the unsavory ( full details supplied on request! ) to flood our land. Also, the assertion made that the EU laws made it impossible to deport anyone.



Free movement!

 I entered the debate, referring to the explicit EU directive that "free movement " is NOT an unqualified right, and can be restricted by ANY country on "grounds of public policy, public security or public health." Therefore that the UK has had, and does have, as good a control as its own border checks wish, or are able, to impose. 

As far as not being allowed to deport anyone under EU Law, once again an explicit EU directive gives the UK the right to deport those who threaten "public security" and who do not comply with "public policy". I pointed out that under such directives, 5,301 EU nationals had in fact been deported in 2017, a 20% rise over the previous year. Well, suffice to say that the thread dried up after my own posts. 



The average poster? (Who can spot me?)

The tragedy - and tragedy is not too strong a word - is that my own direct observations tell me that the self same anti-immigrant posters will continue to express the very same opinions on subsequent threads, undeterred by facts. Why bother with facts when you have your prejudices to guide you?



Brexit divides the nation

 Yes indeed. Not only are all of us the very best cut of meat. Each of us has our very own special needs. Perhaps some more so than others. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wasteland - Summary and Analysis

 I saw from Google Statistics that a prior blog entitled "The Wasteland - Summary and Analysis" was being accessed quite frequentl...