Tuesday 18 December 2018

Victim of Thought



Some time ago now I read a little ebook called "Victim of Thought". Basically, at least as I saw it, it was an attempt to present, in purely secular and non-religious language, the ideas that can in fact be found throughout the world of "Faith", especially in their more mystical non-fundamentalist expressions - although seeking to express exactly what those ideas are becomes a burden of language!

It was a valiant effort and, I think, worthwhile. So many these days have little time for "religion", a subject seldom raised in "polite" society in the UK. A few carols at Christmas and the job is done. 


Is the treacherous sea of language associated with the confusion of tongues?


Moving on, there is in fact a Facebook Page "Victim of Thought" which I was happy to join. Every so often I make some comment on its pages and to do so in a way that is in fact quite challenging for me. Not to use quotes, or terms associated with any particular Religion or "faith world", but to use only secular language myself, as in the original book. Oh yes, quite challenging at times as my mind slips into its habitual grooves of Pure Land terminology, but nevertheless liberating in its own way. 




Recently one member of the group asked if increase awareness could always be seen as a good thing, adding that their own increase in awareness - in their attempts to grow/develop - had in fact led to a degree of self hate. 

Here is my response (and the eagle eyed can perhaps spot where a Pure Land technical term edged its way in in spite of my best efforts!):-

My own experience is simply that attempting to "develop" is a non-starter. Attempting to develop in a way considered "good" is even worse. Awareness as I see it is always good purely of itself i.e. Non-judgemental awareness, a simple registering of our thoughts, negative, positive, in-between! I am instinctively judgemental of others, instinctively selfish, terrified of authority figures. But such genuinely does not bother me. In the past I suppose we could have believed in "Him up there" accepting us "just as we are", in mercy and forgiveness. For most, that belief is no longer a living reality. Yet pure self-acceptance is, I have found, the catalyst of genuine transformation. But our "transformation" cannot be plotted. It "becomes so of itself" beyond our calculations. Be easy on yourself, which is also - I have found - the key to being easy on others (In spite of what I am aware are my instinctive thoughts) 



A heretical Pure Lander


This led to a further comment from another, that seeking transformation can in fact stall it, that it is about seeing that we are whole right here and now. Well, that last part caused me to pause and reflect and try to settle my thoughts, before finally seeing even that as a form of "calculation", this from my own Pure Land perspective. Should we ask ourselves to "see that we are whole right now"? Is it nit-picking to object, or is it the need for a certain precision of language? 



Clarity. Good or bad? 


Constantly I seek for clarity in my own mind, which does involve words, this irrespective of the fundamental call of "no calculation". For me I return to the words of that mentor of mine, Thomas Merton, who often seems to bridge the gap between "east" and "west". Words he spoke in Bangkok on his Asian pilgrimage from which he never returned:-

"My dear brothers and sisters ('sisters' added to spare his blushes) we are already one. But we imagine we are not. And what we have to recover is our original unity. What we have to be is what we are." 

I find those words capture our "reality". Of inter-being as well as any exclusive thought of "self" transformation.



Thomas Merton in Bangkok

A task, already accomplished, is yet ours to address, each in our own unique way. It captures the paradoxical nature of Reality-as-is, paradoxical simply because Reality, being the totality, cannot know itself except by knowing an other

Myself, I must return to Dogen, the zen master, whose own words seem to capture that same paradox. A student of Dogen sought to describe his thought........for Dogen the Way is not simply one direction, from starting point to goal.......the Way is like a circle.......we practice moment by moment, we become fully aware moment by moment, and we are in nirvana moment by moment. And we continue to do it ceaselessly. Our practice is perfect in each moment and yet we have a direction toward Buddha.





Well, whatever, I must be off.


Related Quotes:-

A circle is the reflection of eternity. It has no beginning and it has no end - and if you put several circles over each other, then you get a spiral.

 (Maynard James Keenan)

When in doubt or danger, run in circles, scream and shout. 

(Laurence J. Peter)

Circles create soothing space, where even reticent people can realise that their voice is welcome. 

(Margaret J. Wheatley)

Life is a full circle, widening until it joins the circle motions of the infinite.

(Anais Nin)

Finally, David Jones - artist and poet - once said that everything constituted a sort of circle in some way. "I need to think that everything is complete somewhere"


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wasteland - Summary and Analysis

 I saw from Google Statistics that a prior blog entitled "The Wasteland - Summary and Analysis" was being accessed quite frequentl...